Ever go to a vending machine when you are hungry and have no time to go out and get a bite to
A common argument for anything these days seems to be....
"I am not hurting anyone when I am doing ________!"
While that is true, replace "urt" with "elp" and you get
"I am not helping anyone when I am doing ________!"
This argument is especially used by those who want drugs to be legalized. Their belief seems to be that they are an island with a population of ONE and they should be able to do on that island whatever they want. The libertarian in me wants to say "Go ahead", but there is more to this problem than just "I am not hurting anyone" we need to discuss. Namely, you are of no help to anyone else either.
This is often the most over-looked reason for not doing drugs. While, yes, you are not theoretically hurting anyone when you are in your apartment zonked out of your mind, you are also, like that worthless vending machine, of no use to anyone else around you. Maybe you should slap an "Out of Order" sign on your forehead to alert possible friends and family that you are of no use to them. That way when they come to you because...
- Their car is broken down and they need a ride
- Their girl-friend of 3 years has broken up with them for another guy and they feel like killing themselves
- They have been diagnosed with cancer or some other disease.
- Their father or mother has just passed away and they feel lost.
- They just got their 3rd rejection notice from their college list
- They just lost their job and they are overdrawn at the bank.
- The list goes on and on...